Monday, July 6, 2009

My First Quilt

I heard that Camille and Carrie are hosting a Parade of Quilts.  I thought it sounded like a pretty neat idea, so I thought I'd play along. What you do is post a picture of your first quilt and your most recent quilt.

My first quilt is this one.

I am immensely proud of it.  I made it for my cousin when she was pregnant with her now 2 year old son.  I saw a picture of it online and decided that it was a winner and I had to make a replica.  I hand quilted stars in some of the blocks.  It really turned out so nicely.  I keep telling myself that I need to make a replica someday.  I really love it. 

My most recent quilt is the black, white & yellow quilt. 


In my past couple years of quilting I have figured out so much.  I truly had no idea what I was doing.  I have pretty much learned everything and am still in the process of learning.  I suspect that will always be the case though.

13 comments:

Carrie said...

Hi Nichole ~ I love them both! I think you need to make a replica of your blue star quilt too! And if you make a replica of the black, white and yellow one... Can I have it? (I've learned recently that whining about stuff like this can have very nice results.)

Thank you for playing along ~ and for showing your gorgeous quilts. (And, yes, it will always be the case... even after all these years, I still learn new things with every quilt.)

Lisa D. said...

Wow - that is a beautiful effort for your very first quilt! Yes, I think you need to make a replica to keep for yourself. And your black, white and yellow quilt is just breathtaking!

Camille said...

Oooh, I second what Carrie said. I love that yellow and black one especially. You definitely have a talent!

Deborah said...

Oh, I love them both!!! I've been admiring the star quilt for many years. So glad you did it.

Katie B said...

Woah. That black and yellow quilt is incredible! So bold and lovely!

Leslie said...

the black and white quilt is stunning. i love the pattern

Donnelly said...

They are both stunning. Love that you want to make another version of your first quilt! Have a great day.

Kim Brackett said...

I remember seeing that pattern, and love the way the background gradually gets darker.

Your black, white & yellow quilt is beautiful! Love the fabrics and the design. Very pretty.

Gigi's Thimble said...

Both of your quilts are impressive. I especially love the colors in the black, white and yellow quilt though. It's a perfect use of those colors. Great job!

Cindy said...

One of the fun things about quilting is there's always something new to learn. Each project presents a new challenge. Your quilts are gorgeous - keep using your talent!

Anonymous said...

Wow the black, white, and yellow one is stunning!

Anne said...

Wow!! I made the same quilt as your first one. My son requested it about 6 years ago and as I don't like working with blue, I tried suggesting a sunset sky instead but no, I had to use blue!
It's lovely though isn't it?
Cheers
Anne

EmileeHope said...

Oh I love them both!! I saw your first quilt in a book or magazine once and I have always wanted to try that one as well. (I love stars!!) Your latest is also beautiful! So bright and cheerful and fun!! I have been thinking I want to try a black and white quilt someday..this just adds to my desire to give it a try!