Sunday, March 21, 2010

Settlers of Peacock Isle

And here it is.  The quilt for my niece is finally complete!  


For those of you who haven't been around this overly documented quilt creation, my sister-in-law asked me to make a quilt for her 5 year old daughter.  She wanted something in the colors of a peacock.  I thought Amy Butler's Love line fit the bill.  After an extensive amount of deliberation, I opted to use the half-hexagon pattern for the top.

Please ignore the wrinkles.  :)
The back is Kona Ice Frappe.  Now this is the second time I have used this for a quilt back and I still love it.  The color is so soft and versatile.  I should purchase an entire bolt.  Yes, I'm serious.


Par usual, the quilting is an all over stipple.  I like to keep it easy.  This is the largest quilt I have made.  Wrestling it through the machine definitely make me glad I purchased the quilting machine with the extra large neck and it came with a table.


It is a well known fact that my nieces loooooooves green.


See, I told you.  St.  Patty's Day was a dream come true.  In honor if this, I decided that the quilt needed a green binding.  The Love Sunspots in Olive were the perfect choice.


The finished size is 86"x90".  Interesting tidbit for you, this quilt shrunk 8" in width and 5" in length.  I don't prewash my fabrics so I knew there would be shrinkage, but I'm pretty surprised about how much!  After "finishing" the top I began second guessing myself that it would be too small after washing.  I wouldn't recommend doing this with the hexagon pattern, but I am so glad I made the extra effort.  The quilt would be too small otherwise! 


For maybe the one person out there who picked up on it, yes, the title of this post is a Settlers of Catan reference.  If only I had made an all blue border around the entire quit. 

14 comments:

Melanie said...

It turned out gorgeous, Nichole! I love it! What a wonderful gift. I'm sure your niece will treasure it.

karen said...

LOVE this!!! Just love it! I desperately want to run out to my LQS to buy a bundle of "Love" fat quarters and make the same thing! Yes, including the hexagon pattern (stunning!).

Congrats on another gorgeous quilt.

jacquie said...

great job nichole! i know what you mean about ice frappe...it's like the perfect color.

demoreeann said...

i love the contrast the modern fabric colors/patterns with the simple & classic hexagon quilt pattern. it really works!! lovely.

Candace said...

What a beautiful quilt, everything about it is perfect, and I'm sure your niece will love it.

ali said...

you finished! it looks fantastic!!! great work nichole with an h :)

Laurel H. said...

Very nice quilt, and very cute niece!

Leslie said...

this turned out amazing. i love the hex pattern you used..that is a ton of shrinkage!

Pokey said...

So pretty! I enjoyed making the half hexies, they did take awhile , but I loved the results. Your fabrics are great, too!

Rebekah said...

This turned out beautiful! I love the binding and backing colors you chose.

And I totally got your Catan reference :) Made me think of these cupcakes I saw: http://www.blogcdn.com/www.joystiq.com/media/2007/05/settlers-of-caketan.jpg

karen said...

Nichole - quick question: how big are the hexagons in this quilt? 2 inches (per side) or larger?

It looks so beautiful and you truly have me inspired to make something like this!!

Libby said...

Beautiful Job! I love using kona cotton for backings! There are so many pretty colors to choose from! I hand quilt and using a solid really makes those stitches pop!
Libby

Jennifer said...

It is just beautiful! The "Love" fabric line is slowly growing in me, especially after seeing this beautiful quilt. How interesting that it shrunk so much!

Well done...

Jennifer :)

Sunshine said...

Hey, I pre-wash all my fabric but when I threw one of my baby quilts (30x40") in the dryer (hot), it shrunk 3 and 5" or so. It's the batting, if you use natural fibre batting, or so I've been told. That's why I like the polyester batting sometime, i don't have to warn the recipients that the quilt will shrink if they dry it. I threw the quilt in the wash on hot first, and it didn't shrink at all...