Friday, January 7, 2011

Pinwheels for Christmas

Ever since I gave my mom a quilt for her birthday last year, various members of my family have been requesting quilts.  This year for Christmas my grandma was the lucky lady.

I started working on the pinwheel sampler early last year.  After being sidelined for several months, I decided to finished it up for a Christmas gift.  I love the prints in this quilt and the classic pattern.


The original sampler quilt-a-long only called for 16 blocks, but I think a rectangular quilt is nicer than a square one, so I added 4 additional blocks.  I also decided to add those little pinwheels in the sashing.  I am so glad I did too.  I think they really add a little something special to the quilt.  There was a lot of talk of how much of a pain in the butt they are to make in the Flickr group, but I didn't find them painful at all.  I actually kind of enjoyed making them.  After making all of more intricate larger blocks, it was a bit refreshing to whip up a bunch of simple ones - even if they were only 3.5" square.

I don't prewash any of my fabric since I like the crinkly look.  This quilt washed up so lovely.  Look at all those crinkles!  Doesn't it make you want to just snuggle up in it?!


The backing and binding were prints of the same line that I found on clearance at the Fabric Shack for only $3.99 a yard!  It was such a great find!


 It's one of the more traditional quilts I have made, but I love it.  I am so happy with how it turned out.

11 comments:

demoreeann said...

i love the colors in this quilt, and yes, the crinkly looks awesome.

Sunshine said...

The cornerblock wheels are really cute on that quilt - and I think the pattern is great for a grandmother, who probably appreciates the workmanship and more traditional patterns more?

Angie @ CraftedAngles said...

Love it! It really did wash up nicely. I like the flow and the assortment of pinwheels. Great job again!

Laurel H. said...

It looks great!

Laurel H. said...

OH and I meant to say, I too prefer rectangular quilts over square ones. I rarely ever make square quilts.

Karen said...

Fantastic! Love your colours. the backing compliments the front so nicely.

Libby said...

PERFECT!! I love everything about this quilt, the pattern, the fabrics, that lovely crinkly look, etc!!

Meghan said...

Wow, I didn't notice the small pinwheels when I first looked at the quilt, but now I see they're essential to the design. A true artist :)

Cindy @ Creating at Home said...

This is so beautiful! I am in the middle of making this quilt right now. I think I totally over-bought my fabric, so I might make it big enough for a double bed.

Susan J Barker said...

arrived here via whip up...
Love your quilt and love the colours.

Tsoniki said...

Wow, this is beautiful! I love pinwheels. Great job. :)