Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Girly

When I first posted about this quilt, I affectionately dubbed it the "trial quilt" since it was, in fact, a trial run for the quilt I made for my adorable little niece.  It sat with about 12 inches of binding unstitched for over a month, but I finally finished it up on our trip to Ontario.

Since the backdrop looking over Lake Erie is so pretty, I figured I should take some photos there to show it off.  Unfortunately, the lighting was a bit off since I took them a bit too soon after sunrise.  It was freezing and Shawn and I were antsy to make our snowy drive home.


The pattern is my own - using 8 prints in various sizes of squares and rectangles.  While reorganizing my fabric I realized I have a large stack of pink prints and have never made a pink quilt!  I chose these prints to remedy that situation.  I still think I need to make about 10 more pink quilts to reflect the amount of pink in my stash!  The white sashing is this bamboo cotton blend I purchased inexpensively by the bolt a couple years ago.   I like it because the price is right, it's softer than Kona cotton, and threads don't show through like with muslin.



To go along with the pink theme, the back in a pale pink Kona solid.  I think it's pale flesh.  Since some of the pinks are pretty bold in the top, I wanted to be a little more subtle for the backing.  The binding is from Good Folks and I think it makes a great binding.


All in all, I'd say this trial quilt was a success.

5 comments:

Elena said...

Trial quilt?! Girl, this is gorgeous! And I have that same bamboo fabric...so silky soft!

demoreeann said...

pretty! i love the oranges and pinks together.

Lesly said...

Very, very cute - and utterly girly!

Angela Nash said...

The colors are fabulous, and I love your graduated square pattern!

Sunshine said...

Great pattern, and I love the yellow-pink colour mix! You can definitely be proud of this one :)
C.