Friday, October 5, 2007

Quilting done!

I have successfully finished my first attempt at machine quilting. It was so quick and easy. Wonderful. Doing the zig zag pattern was kind of a lot of work, but I like the way it paid off.



I was successful at making no noticeable puckers either! So that's nice! However, I don't know if my sewing machine is really cut out to do machine quilting. Honestly, there are time that I wonder if it is cut out to do any sewing in general. Instead of puckers, it decided to "bird nest" (as the Singer site likes to call it) on the underside. It drives me nuts when it does this. It doesn't only happen while I'm quilting either. I think my machine is just really finicky and likes to decide when it is going to work properly and when it's not.

Now it's off to figuring out how to do a binding. On Evan's quilt I used the satin edging and just kind of "winged it" because I was in a hurry (I finished it the morning of the baby shower). Now it's time to sit down and actually figure out how to do it properly.

3 comments:

kristin said...

gorgeous! i'm so glad it turned out nicely. it looks great!

i get that birdsnest thing sometimes, too... ugh.

Heather said...

It turned out wonderfully!
Birds nests are the bain of all sewers.
My favorite way to bind is the create one long strip, machine sew the top edge, and then hand stitch the back. It keeps it clean, even, and adds a soft rounded edge.

Congrats on such a lovely quilt.

amandajean said...

hurray for no puckers! that is quite a feat.