Sunday, June 6, 2010

Quilter Bees: Time to Catch Up

This weekend has been dedicated to catching up on quilting bee blocks.  Up first, the Quilter Bees.

In April, Angie asked us for two blocks with circles.  I opted for the machine appliqued variety ala this tutorial

Prior to this, I had never done any applique or circles.  I suspect that they would have turned out a bit better had I been a seasoned veteran.  Although, isn't that the case with most things?


Next up, for May Dorrie sent along a fabulous collection of little scraps for us to make an equally fabulous block. 


I have to say, I'm a bit sad to send this block back.  I love it!  There are 88 1-inch squares in that 12.5" block.  Needless to say, it was incredibly time consuming.  It is so beautiful though!  It is definitely one of those blocks where the extra labor was worthwhile. 


And finally, for June Sorrel sent us a collection of purple and gold fabrics so we can make a LA Lakers inspired quilt for her cousin.  She asked for slightly wonky log cabins.  I think mine turned out "slightly" wonky enough. 


Up next, two months worth of scrappy bee blocks.  Maybe I'll be able to be all caught up before the end of the weekend?  We shall see!

7 comments:

Angie said...

I especially like the layered circles. Thank you!

Leslie said...

that second block is so pretty but that is a ton of little blocks...so much fussy work

Cristin said...

Wow! I totally love all 3 blocks... but the one with 88 squares is my fav hands down!!! Stunning!

Terriaw said...

Looks like you are keeping busy with the Bees! I love each block, but I can see why you want to keep Dorrie's block cuz it's gorgeous. That sashing solid really makes the squares shine.

Rebekah said...

those circle blocks are cool, but doesn't it just kill you to have to cover up all of the pretty fabric underneath?

That block with 88 squares is amazing! It reminds me a little bit of crazymomquilts new quilt along quilt

Little Miss Shabby said...

I love seeing my tutorial popping up here and there! I had to pop on over to your blog after seeing this block on flickr. =)

Angie said...

I received your blocks in the mail yesterday. Thanks!